Jonathan's Age

Diana's Age

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Diving Board

Jonathan decided today was the day that he was going to jump off the diving board at the Sports Club.  The deep end is 10 feet deep!  He walked to the end of the diving board a few weeks ago with a friend but decided not to jump in.  This afternoon I said that we would go to the pool after Diana's nap and Jonathan said, I am going off the diving board today.  I was very encouraging but in my head thinking, he won't do it.  Coming from the girl who was terrified of the diving board and had to be lowered in for I think a couple of years during swim lessons, I wasn't about to show my nerves to Jonathan.  We got to the pool and the diving board was closed, it was open swim in the deep end, so Jonathan had to wait.  He was watching and as soon as they opened it up, he said, let's go Mommy.  Luckily I saw two of his friends Mom's along the way and told them it was his first time and that I was a nervous wreck, because once again, I didn't want to tell him I was nervous.  He got in line behind his two classmates, Stella and Lucy, and was shaking.  I couldn't tell if it was because he was cold or nervous as well.  When it was his turn, he walked to the end of the diving board pretty confidently but then got to the end and just stood there.  I think I said to him, "You got this buddy.  The lifeguard is right there if you need her help." and before I knew it, he was jumping.  He popped right up and swam faster than I have ever seen him swim before and climbed out the ladder with the biggest smile on his face!  He jumped off the diving board 3 more times today and each time with more and more confidence.  In the car on the way home I asked if he was nervous the first time and he said, I just said to myself "Ah ah going for it!"  He claims tomorrow he will be cannon balling off the diving board.  I am SO proud of him!  I must admit, it heightens my already high stress level at the pool.  Between watching Diana and her zero fear of the water, ready to jump in at no seconds notice and now with him at the deep end, I am not sure how I am going to handle this.  Just in case anyone thought that my days at the pool were relaxing, think again!

No comments: